LinuxWorld Report

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Tue Aug 28 21:49:57 PDT 2001

Well, David and I drove down together and ended up meeting Greg from
O'Reilly for lunch.  I can't recommend eating outside when it is
windy, though it did make it more interesting.  Also in attendence
were Lincoln, Lorie and another David, whom we crossed paths with
during the day.

HP had a number of Windows boxes.  This was rather annoying as it was
to demo an app that converted solaris code to linux64.  The sales guy
didn't see the issue.

I also got my first look at the the RLX System 324, 24 Crusoe based
systems in 3U of rack space.  Each machine is a 633Mhz Crusoe, can
have up to 512Mb of ram (1 dimm) and can have 1 or 2 10Gb or 30Gb
drives (2.5", I don't know if you can have other capacities in
between), and it sounds like each can have 2 NICs.
(http://www.rlxtechnologies.com/, no I don't work there)

Now what everyone is waiting for - Swag:
Shirts weren't as prevalent this year, however I did manage to get 3
without sitting in a single presentation.  Among the silly items I
found were some fuzzy dice, a lizard (not from SuSE oddly enough), a
penguin key-chain, an assortment of pens and stickers, some bubbles, a
cute little maze, some runts, a cookie and a pack of playing cards
(David nabbed these).  The playing cards were my favorite.

I also managed (with David pointing it out) to pick up a copy of
"Policy Routing Using Linux", signed by the author, Matthew G. Marsh
(who was actually doing the signing then).  There were also free issues
of Linux Journal, Linux Magazine, ;Login: and Embedded Linux Journal.
I also picked up a copy of NetMax Linux Firewall, though I'm not sure
how useful it is.  It has a price tag (of 39.99) from CompUSA on it,
which I thought a bit odd.  I am comtemplating an attempt at returning
it.

Brad Cox, KB1CZQ	http://www.linuxbofh.com	brad at linuxbofh.com
You will wish you hadn't.