Donations for the Ranch

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 12:45:50 PST 2001

>From: E Frank Ball <frankb at efball.com>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: Donations for the Ranch
>Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:23:33 -0800

[snip]

>HSC used to (and still might) sell IDE controllers for $3 to $5 each
>depending on what they had in stock.  They worked great with linux, I
>put them in several boxes as a secondary controller.  If they are no
>longer available I might be able to spare one, I'll have to look around.

Are they PCI or ISA?  I bought a so-called ISA IDE controller there a while
ago, and it turned out to be a soundcard with a CD-ROM connector.  I should
have known; it had RCA audio ports on the back.

>I have a 540MB IDE drive I've never gotten around to throwing away if
>you want it.  If you are interested in SCSI drives (SCSI2 50pin) I
>might be able to spare some 1 or 2 GB drives.

That 540MB drive sounds good.  It might be enough for a web server or an IRC
server.  I've also got three 2GB IDE drives from those almost-discarded
computers and from my grandmother's old computer, and I need to check them
out to see if they're really any good.

I can't remember if the netbooting server (named "melampus") has a 50-pin
SCSI or something else, but I'll try to find out.

>Need any 3.5" floppies?  I can spare a couple.

Oh, they both have 3.5" floppy drives.  I thought that a 3.5" floppy drive
would be considered a given, but ever since the birth of the iMac...

Seriously, I've probably got plenty of 3.5" floppy drives in my garage
(a.k.a. "the boneyard").

I'll try to answer some of these questions when I get home and can really
look at this hardware.