RMS and nblug

troy fryman at sonic.net
Sat Dec 15 15:42:28 PST 2001

I still think GNU/Linux is a bit of a mouthful for casual conversation.  It
does, however, have at least a bit more charm than, "Lignux."

It seems to be that NBLUG already encompasses most things open source/geek
related.  One of the best meetings we've had was Tim O'Reilly's talk on open
source.  If you were seriously considering another group, i don't think it's
a great idea because IMHO, NBLUG *is* GNU/NBLUG, but like the OS it isn't
referred to as such.  I just think it'd be redundant.

OTOH, if you're simply trying to start some dialog about giving credit where
credit is due, then that's definitely a good thing.  Personally, when i
introduce someone to Linux, i try to get them interested first and slam them
with details later.  One thing that might be a good start would be to include
on nblug.org some links/reviews to good books that talk about the whole
Open Source phenomenon.  I'd nominate these:

The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar by ESR (duh!)
and
Free_For_All by Peter Wayner

I'm sure that plenty has been said about the first, but i'd do a review of
the second if there's interest.  I'd also be interested in hearing about other
good books on related topics.

-t