RMS and nblug

Jake Jake at callatg.com
Sat Dec 15 23:00:09 PST 2001

>Troy said:
> It seems to be that NBLUG already encompasses most things open source/geek
> related.  One of the best meetings we've had was Tim O'Reilly's talk on
open
> source.  If you were seriously considering another group, i don't think
it's
> a great idea because IMHO, NBLUG *is* GNU/NBLUG, but like the OS it isn't
> referred to as such.  I just think it'd be redundant.

After I explained that it was backed by Tim he said: "All the more reason."

I think that I was trying to suggest changing the groups name rather than
create an entirely new one.
RMS seemed keen on the idea of a new one but I think just giving credit
where credit is due is sufficiant.

I think its counter productive, however the gnu project makes up more of
linux than any other single contributing group.

>Mitch said:
> so he always says
> it should be called GNU/Linux, rather than just Linux.

I think he has a good point, I think I would be pretty bitter in his shoes.
However I think that he does alot of work and gets only minor credit.

The proof is that any linux newbie will not have a clue who RMS is but will
know of Cox, Linus and perhaps even ESR.

-
Jake