Sound card pain and suffering...

Cameron Tully-Smith lpstudy at sonic.net
Sat Feb 17 22:50:50 PST 2001

At 10:01 PM 2/16/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Windows, however... Linux performance is terrible. It pops and clicks and
>skips if X is running or with any disk writes. Same thing with the ES1370

Well, this is embarrassing...  I checked again tonight while I had the
system open to verify that the card's jumpers were set to line out (for
amplified speakers; instead of speaker out for non-amplified speakers) and
found that I had misread the icons on the jacks on the card.  The card
itself has labeling saying "speaker out" and "line out" below the jack that
I thought was the line in jack.  As soon as I connected the speakers to the
line out jack, the card started working with sndconfig's test.  I was also
able to play a CD with no skipping (there was some corruption of my display
when using a Gnome terminal, though...  some of my text ended up above the
terminal window instead of in the window) and was able to cat various .au
files to /dev/audio and hear them with no problem.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.  I'm just writing now so that
others know that this card ended up working just fine with the standard
kernel drivers.

Cameron
lpstudy at sonic.net