RedHat kernel RPM change for headers

Troy Engel tengel at sonic.net
Mon Feb 12 15:03:48 PST 2001

So, I'm trying to update the kernel on one of the various redhat machines floating around, and found that there's no 'kernel-headers' RPM for the newly released set of 2.2.17-14 packages on RedHat's ftp site.

After digging around, I find that they've changed the methodology; the headers are now just included in 'kernel-source' along with the other stuff.  So, if you want the headers (which, if you ever compile *anything* non-trivial you will need) you'll have to install the 75megs of kernel source to get them, instead of the '-header' package which was only 3.6meg.

Personally, I think it sucks having to install a bunch of useless shit. I think I'll go file a bug report on their ass...

-te

--
Troy Engel
GPG KeyID: DF3D5207