Problems with lilo on a new machine

Christopher White cwhite at softquad.com
Sat Feb 10 10:21:21 PST 2001

> From: Cameron Tully-Smith [mailto:lpstudy at sonic.net]

> I'm getting "Primary master hard disk fail" when I try to boot off of the
> hard disk.  The Linux install went fine and the machine's setup is set to
> use "Auto" (I could manually override and choose LBA, Large or
> Normal).  The machine boots fine with a boot diskette that was created
> during the Linux install and I'm able to use the hard disk with no
problems.

Hi!

I had this happen to me once with Red Hat 7.0 and a WD disk.  Exact same
symptoms.  The install went fine, but I couldn't boot after the
installation, except from a floppy disk.  Here's what fixed it for me:  I
set the jumper on the hard disk to "standalone", not "master".  Those are
two different things on a WD drive.  I knew that already, but someone else
had assembled the PC in question.

Hope this helps.

--Chris

Christopher T. White