what to do when you've been rooted

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Sun Jan 21 11:38:18 PST 2001

} begin Bob Blick quotation:
}
} > It's running a redhat 6.2 system straigt off the cd. I know the hole was in
} > wu-ftpd, but I need to know which packages I should reinstall to make sure
} > I have cleaned out the files typically overwritten by a root kit.

} By the way, I consider wu-ftpd to have _way_ too many security problems.
} Thus:

Absolutely.  Do you *NEED* to run a ftp deamon?  Most are nothing but
security holes waiting to be found.  Using ftp to go out is ok, but if
at all possible rely on an http server to let others grab files from
you, and turn off cgi-bin functionalilty if you don't *NEED* it.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com