seeking general guidelines for installing software on Linux

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jan 8 22:27:13 PST 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Troy Engel wrote:
> ME wrote:
> > Binaries that are linked as static are usually eft in /sbin and /usr/sbin.
> I don't mean to be a meanie, but 'sbin' is for SysAdmin binaries, aka
> 'root only' stuff; this is much different than static. :-)  It's
> standard across all unices I'm aware of...
>   http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.7.html

Yep, but I still place the few staticly lnked binaries I use in the /sbin
dirs. Frequently "System/Sysadmin Binaries" are the applications that you
want to have work when your libraries get hosed, or you need to do
maintenance on your partitions that won't mount. This is why they are
mostly compiled to not need a library.

Use of /sbin dirs for housing those few applications that you would want
to be static was suggested by that slackware distro that inckuded the
1.2.13 linux kernel. If the s is for system or sysadmin or superuser and
not static, then the docs I originally read on this oh so long ago were
incorrect. This would make me wrong.

Though I keep a static bash in /sbin, I keep the default dynamicly linked
bash in /bin. I usually don't compile any non system or non critical apps
as static when a dynamic option is available.

- Perhaps the "s" may stand for "s"omething else. Maybe the "s" convention
was created by the same person that coined the name UNIX as parody of
MULTIX to have people puzzle over a nonexistant acronym for it. (just
being silly here) -

Your information is good. Thanks for the correction and redirection.

-ME

P.S. (Hope ths does not come across as being antagonistic, that is not my
intent.)