seeking general guidelines for installing software on Linux

Lorie Obal lobal at cds1.net
Mon Jan 8 21:36:31 PST 2001

I was going to install the SUN j2sdk and I wasn't sure what directory to
put it in.  What are the rules of thumb for placement of different types
of software installs for Linux? Do some of the packages automatically
install to the correct directory?

I was also trying to upgrade my version of the RPM since the install
wouldn't fly with my current version (I'm using what came with RH 6.0) I
grabbed the upgrade from RH site, but it wouldn't install - it seems they
were assuming something I don't know about which packgage goes where or
order of installing them (?).

-Lorie