Question, and comment.

Devin Carraway aqua at atlantic.devin.com
Mon Jan 8 15:26:20 PST 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 03:14:50PM -0800, Cal Herrmann wrote:
> Except: the Netscape screen is too big, hangs over the top (so I
> can't get to the URL), and the bottom (so I can't resize).  Won't
> move up and down so far as I can find out, as Netscape does on my

Many windowmanagers support a metakey-move which can help you with the
problem.  Hold the Alt (or Windoze) key, and drag anywhere in the window.

Alternately, start netscape from an xterm with the argument '-geometry
400x300' (no quotes), and then resize it as you please.

> Lowcost hardware.  I have tried putting Linux, including SuSE, into
> abandoned PC's at my work, I find them rather flaky.  Is there
> anyplace one can give such, that might be good for something?

It helps to stress-test hardware, new or used, before trusting it with
anything that matters.  Disk benchmarks, memtest86 and x11perf are good places
to start.  memtest86 (freshmeat.net/projects/memtest86) is especially good for
identifying elusive problems with memory that may take considerable runtime to
manifest themselves or that are only triggered by specific memory usage
patterns.

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, 1024D/E9ABFCD2;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++