finding cheap hardware for Linux?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 5 16:38:00 PST 2001

begin Brad Cox quotation:

> I wouldn't suggest publicfile as a ftp server (which I as much said in my
> original mail).  However, the only reason that I wouldn't suggest it is
> that there aren't clients that support Dan's EPLF.

In fairness, I seem to recall that Publicfile (unlike its anonftpd
predecessor) doesn't _solely_ do EPLF format.  And I certainly agree
that the latter is an abstractly good idea.  (Actually, that's a common
thread among his projects.  Good in theory, but bloodyminded about
getting along with the rest of the world.))

But, also, you have to buy into much of the basic DJB architecture to
use Publicfile:  ucspi-tcp and daemontools, if memory serves.  And all
three of those packages are proprietary software.  I'm sorry, but if the
pervasive weirdness didn't kill the DJB software cult for me, the
proprietary licensing would.

So, for a small, fast, more-secure httpd, I'd prefer Boa.  For a small,
fast, more-secure ftpd, I currently favour oftpd on Linux and aftpd on
BSD.

--
Cheers,              "It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us
Rick Moen            in trouble.  It's the things we know that ain't so."