finding cheap hardware for Linux?

Brad Cox kb1czq at sonic.net
Fri Jan 5 12:07:45 PST 2001

> I've also been looking around at small web servers.  cgi-bin scripts and
> other things that execute code on a web server are big security holes.
> I found several smaller webservers on freshmeat.net:  dhttpd, webfs, and
> several at www.acme.com.  Most are not cgi-bin capable.  dhttpd won't
> even index directories.  Some can't handle any but the simplist MIME
> types.  Some of them can't do logging.  I've got six web servers running
> on one machine so I can compare them all.

Have you tried khttpd?  It is a kernel based web server that can hand of
requests for non-existant files and/or cgi scripts to a user land web
server.  You need to get 2.4.0 to use it, but it is extremely fast.
We were using it in production about a month ago, using the test10 kernel,
and had no problems with the khttpd portion of the kernel.

Another product I've used is publicfile from Dan Bernstein (author of
qmail and djbdns), available from http://cr.yp.to/publicfile.html.  It
also features a ftp server that is largely broken.  The main benefit of
publicfile is that it is designed for security.  It doesn't require that
you use linux, so it would be a good choice if you can't for some reason.

Brad Cox, KB1CZQ	http://www.sonic.net/~kb1czq	kb1czq at sonic.net
Prediction is very difficult, especially of the future.
		-- Niels Bohr