samba issues

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Jul 17 20:01:16 PDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Leif Ryge wrote:
> I've got it setup and working now, but its having some weird quirks. From
> time to time when I try to rename or move a file (working on the windows
> client machine) I'll get an error:
>
>    Cannot Move "Filename": Access is Denied.
>    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
>    and that the file is not currently in use.
>
> I know that the file is not in use, I made sure the other client machines
> wern't using it and that the disk is not full. If I hit "refresh" in
> windows a couple times, and try to move or rename the same file again it
> usually works. This happens quite a lot, and since it goes away just from
> refreshing my window I don't see what mis-configuration could cause this.

That does sound strange.

> btw, the client machine is running win2k pro.
> Any ideas?

Some questions:
Is the parent directory writeable by the username/UID of the samba
authenticated user?
If the shared directory on an ext2 filesystem? windows FAT,FAT32 file
system? What file system?
What files are being edited? ones in an html directory? Could they be
served files that happen to get opened for reading, get locked and then
smbd sees the lock and disallows the move? (We have not had this problem
with our served docs, but perhaps there is something else?
What are the perms of the files being moved when they are moved?
Are the files that have problems 8.3 or are they longer than 8?
What files are you moving?
Can you copy your smb.conf file here? (If you prefer to not do this and
would prefer to send it just to me, feel free to do this instead)
Are you authenticated as "guest" (nobody) ? If not, who?
Have you thought of looking at where your smbd is started (inetd.conf or
perhapos as a daemon) and then adding on a new arguement like "-d 2" to
look at debugging info in the log?
What are the options enabled for the share(s) with the problems?
Any create masks, diretcory masks, read only, writable options specified
for the shared volumes?
Do you only notice these problems when working from network neighborhood
"folders" or when you have mapped a drive?
Do you notice if MS Indexing Server or FASTFIND (FindFast?) service on the
client has locksed the file in its attempt to search for files?
Do you have firewall rules set up on the samba server? If so, what are
your default policies and any policies that could affect port 137,138 and
139 tcp/dup?

Some of these may be answered by the smb.conf file.

I have used samba a bit, but would need more info in order to better test
this.

-ME