dial-up connection

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Jul 30 09:29:02 PDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Mike Rice wrote:
> Here's a sordid story and a plea for help:
> After a hiatus from the internet world, I put my Debian/Storm box back
> online.
> Before the disconnect, it was working just fine.
> Now, I dialup and get an IP address (Storm Dialer), but am unable to
> browse or ping anything other than localhost or the leased IP address.
> So I tried it with a second Debian box (wvdial)(appears to start pppd),
> same trouble.
>
> Provider is PacBell, dialup only. They were giving me heck about my
> password, until one enterprising tech actually tried to dialup using my
> information, found it refusing my login and reset that.
> Now pppd just fails. Their tech claimed he could browse just fine using
> my dialup, but not I. What could I be doing wrong here?
> PacBell is eventually changing to Prodigy, may be difficult to connect
> at all using Linux. Any suggestions?
>
> thanks in advance
> Logs and setup info will be provided on request.

"request" ;-)

You can send them direct to my address if you would prefer not to send
them to the list. I would be interrested in the "daemon.log",,
"messages.log" and if you enabled debugging on the pppd options
"debug.log" as well as any other log files you might have related to pppd
and output from your scripting system (storm?).

Thanks!
-ME