Stampede

Colin Marquardt colin at marquardt-home.de
Thu Mar 22 22:18:08 PST 2001

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> writes:

> begin ME quotation:
>
> > I have not seen or met someone that uses stampede....
>
> I've used it, and I liked it very much.  Its clean design is a breath of
> fresh air (no cruddy Red Hat-style maze stands in the way of your
> _genuinely_ comprehending system configuration), and the optimisation
> for performance makes you wish that other distributions would do
> likewise.

Debian is like emacs: you can do everything with it.

,----
| Package: pentium-builder 0.14
|
| force pentium optimized compilation
|
| Replaces gcc, cc, and g++ with scripts that build pentium optimized
| code. (Other processors can be optimized for as well.)
|
| By default, after installing this package, the compilers will behave
| normally. However, if the environment variable DEBIAN_BUILDARCH=pentium
| is set, they will enter pentium optimized compile mode.
`----

Sure, the packages do not come pre-compiled with that optimization, but
with apt's deb-src spec it is easy to re-build the important packages. I
couldn't even use Stampede (well, not without quite some disadvantages
at least) since I have an Athlon system.

Cheers,
  Colin

--
YYURYYUBICURYY4ME.