attempting the dreaded laptop install...

Lorie Obal lobal at cds1.net
Thu Mar 15 21:25:25 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Rice" <dolo724 at yahoo.com>
To: <nblug-talk at lists.sonic.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: attempting the dreaded laptop install...

> questions for you:
> What is the laptop?
It's a Dell Latitude CPX

> What directory/folder is the RH7 stuck in?

c: Redhat

|------->RedHat
    |-------->base
    |-------->instimage
    |-------->RPMS
    |-------->7.0 respin-d
    |-------->apm7.0.rpm
    |-------->atim170.rpm
    |-------->!75olonx.rpm

I also have sitting on logical drive D:
                    folders: autoboot, fips20,fipsdocs,
                    exes:    autoboot, fips, gzip, loadlin, rawrite,rdev,
restorrb
                    tgz Files: lodlin16
 (I'm assuming he correctly copied everything to HD before handing me this.)

> What is the current booting operating system?
WIN2000 pro on 12 gig HD partitioned: C: ->2.92 GB, D:->2.92 GB
(I don't exactly have the OS on CD, if ya know what I mean...)
I plan to devote the rest of the drive to Linux as I need to be able to
dual-boot.

I currently have CD on board and am running floppy drive externally -
default boot before HD.

Other hardware info:
pointer devices: both touchpad and IBM-style nipple (this is taking some
getting used to)
Xircom-combo card (already have a Linux network at home - this is first
laptop)
I have been told that RH7.0 recognizes this hardware on similar model
without problems.
There is also USB, standard external ports and there appears to be an IR
interface - but I don't see it recognized in WIN2000 - maybe driver isn't
loaded.

I also have questions about setting Linux partitions for install.  I would
like to do a "whole-shebang" install, particularly with server capabilities
and I have had trouble in the past with the install barking about not enough
room on partitions.  I'm also not sure if I have to explicitly define /usr
and /home or if this is taken care of by the install (this is my first 7.0
install).

I'm currently going to SFSU and the business CIS faculty have been showing
more interest in Linux (I've been pushing them on this) . I wanted to be
able to bring in a fully functional box to show them stuff  I've worked on
and how students would learn more if they'd start playing with Linux.

Any help getting this puppy up and running will be appreciated.

-Lorie