attempting the dreaded laptop install...

Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 14:08:01 PST 2001

questions for you:
What is the laptop?
   this may need special install instructions
   i.e. if it's a Thinkpad, on the boot: prompt after a restart with
the boot floppy, type floppy=thinkpad.  The installation screen should
provide the most common options.

What directory/folder is the RH7 stuck in?
x:\redhat
  |----> RedHat
  |        |----> RPMS  -- binary packages
  |        `----> base  -- information on this release of Red Hat
  |                        used by the installation process
  |----> images         -- boot and ramdisk images
  |----> dosutils       -- installation utilities for DOS
  |----> COPYING        -- copyright information
  |----> README         -- this file
  `----> RPM-GPG-KEY    -- GPG signature for packages from Red Hat

What is the current booting operating system?
   this will tell us how to use rawrite better
   i.e whether you use "dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0"  from /images or
    change to the directory (where rawrite lives)
     and just double-click rawrite or
    change to the directory in DOS and type rawrite
     and... (from the RH docos)
    "And follow the prompts.  All arguments are case-insensitive.
If the source and destination drives are the same, RaWrite will ask the
user to swap diskettes as required.  Rawrite allocates a large buffer
in RAM to reduce the number of disk swaps.
RaWrite may be aborted at any time by typing ^C or CTRL-Break."
 ...I'm lazy, I copied the rawrite.exe and boot.img to the root of my
C:\ and ran it from there, no need for directory searching or
switching.

OR
 if you're in Win98, restart in DOS-mode, change to \dosutils and run
autoboot.bat

Any other opinions?
Mike

--- Lorie Obal <lobal at cds1.net> wrote:
> I just got a laptop from someone who's stepping up and I'm trying to
> create a boot disk to install RH 7.0.  He dumped 7.0 in a folder on
> the HD when he handed me the box, but I've been having trouble
> creating a boot disk with rawrite.
>
> I've been able to copy individual files, but not the directories.
> Wish I could have had this before the last install fest!
>
> -Lorie

=====
___shaving weekly with Occam's Razor___
Visit the Northern California Church of Freethought
at http://www.geocities.com/dolo724 ...Think for Yourself!