[NBLUG] The Seawolf bit me!

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at email.com
Fri May 4 21:11:16 PDT 2001

It _could_ be considered a feature, except that I frequently use many of the
services that inetd controls.  And since my network is behind a firewall and
I'm the only one who could possibly pull off an inside hacking job (no other
user has the slightest knowledge of the network's or the computer's inner
workings), I don't expect security problems from using Telnet instead of
ssh, etc. within the network.  Whenever I am working across the Internet, or
doing any sort of root login (inside the LAN or across the Internet), you
can rest assured that I will use ssh.

Anyway, it would appear that inetd no longer exists on my computer.
However, I did find that xinetd is installed, configured, and running, but
still none of its services worked.  I then downloaded inetd-0.16-7 from
rpmfind.net, and once it isntalled, everything worked fine.

If I have unknowingly left security to chance please tell me!!!