Mandrake 8.0 mini-review

Troy Engel tengel at sonic.net
Sat May 5 18:26:30 PDT 2001

This is a super short one -- I finally got around to installing Mandrake
8.0 on a tower box I have here, and I must say it's nice.  All the
newest of the new stuff like RedHat 7.1, but the installer puts redhat
to shame.  The disk partitioner is by far the nicest I've seen yet; the
8.0 partitioner didn't make the same mistakes the 7.2 box did (this box
has 3 SCSI drives, confuses the 7.2 thingy a bit).

A rather cool thing to note, besides using the (new) standard xinetd,
openssh, etc. it's also now using CUPS (common unix printing system, for
the uninitiated) which is very cool.  The X detection and display is
excellent, and the admin tools are very nice.

Other than that, everything is pretty much as you expect it; only one
bug in the installer I found, they've fixed a lot since 7.2. (if you
choose to install some daemons, there's a question after package
selection that's like "are you sure you want imap, telnet, etc.?" and if
you click Cancel it continues anyway. this is in expert mode.)

Default desktop is of course KDE, but they offer GNOME 1.4 as well.
Haven't had a chance to spend tons of time with it beyond this, just
mainly toying around.

-te

--
Troy Engel :: KeyID DF3D5207
Fear Og.  Og have root.  Not fear Og, Og teach you fear.