[NBLUG] Article "Why BSD will never be as secure as Linux"

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon May 14 10:49:11 PDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Rick Moen wrote:
> No, that would be (or would be close to) argumentum ad hominem.
> Detailed examples of what (I claim is) Kurt's characteristic tendencies
> as an author at work might be useful.  But I'm not at all sure I have
> the time to do that.
>
> But let's see what I can dig up, here:

Thanks for the included messages.

[chop]

> No, man, you're missing my point:  I'm saying that Kurt gives actively
> bad advice.  Reading what he says on security is often a subtractive
> process:  While previously you were ignorant, afterwards you will "know"
> things that are simply not so.

I can better see your point of view.

> Cheap-ass intellectually-lazy California relativism.  Figures.

Have you thought of avoiding words that are insulting when you write? I
believe I have been well mannered up until now, and did not deserve your
comment.

No thanks for the above. Judgemental, close minded, unsophisticated
character degredation, using stereotypes, and mud slinging in a format
that rivals U.S. Political ads. At least you are consistent with your
method of response to opinions that are not yours - use unkind statements
and fling them at people that disagree with you.

> > Do you recall any good security presenters from your LUG that might be
> > willing to come up to NBLUG to offer a security presentation?
>
> No.  I deliberately ignored your question the first time, because I'm
> not going to toot my own horn as a security writer in the same e-mail
> where I criticise Kurt's writings.  You might want to ask Marc Merlin
> to give his talk about more aspects of password security than you would
> have thought possible.

Thanks for explaining this, and the suggestion here.

-ME