3D Animation and Linux

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Wed May 23 13:44:07 PDT 2001

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 03:48:37PM -0400, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Since the group seems to be talking about the movie 'Shrek', maybe this
> question is on topic:
> Does anyone know of an open-source 3D animation program for Linux that is
> equal to (or better than) 3D Studio MAX?  It needs to be open source (so
> Blender doesn't count) because if all goes according to plan, it will be
> running on a Beowulf cluster.
> What I'm hoping to do is cluster about 25 computers that are used as
> workstations for 3D Desktop Animation so that they will be able to create
> much more complex animation, and create it more rapidly than a single
> computer could.
> Any suggestions?

Well, the portion of Blender that you'd want to run on the Beowulf cluster
*is* open source.  (BSD License)  It's the user-interface bit that's free
(as in beer) but not open source.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/blender/

There's also the classic POV-ray, that I remember fiddling with back when I
had a 386:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/pov-ray/

In fact, in general, check out all these:

http://freshmeat.net/browse/792/

and these:

http://freshmeat.net/browse/110/
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell