Has anyone run into this problem with Samba?

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 14:49:16 PDT 2001

First of all, thanks to everyone with the suggestions on 3D animaiton
software for Linux.  I've got a lot more research to do, but at least now I
know where to start.

Anyway, I now have a problem with Samba that is new since I upgraded to Red
Hat 7.1, but I had not noticed it until now:
When I start Samba, smb immediately dies without any warning.  I tried
running testparm, and everything came out OK.  Thinking that it might be a
program error, I tried installing the samba RPM that ships with Mandrake,
and it experienced the same problem.

Finally, I tried running 'smbd -d 10' at the command prompt and read through
the log file.  I have attached that log to this message.  The only part I
could make sense of was that it tried to bind to the IP address 0.0.0.0,
which was apparently already in use, and then it shut itself down.  So I
pinged 0.0.0.0, and each ping was returned by 127.0.0.1 (my computer).

Anyone know what this means and/or how to fix it?