How do I deal with multiple hardware setups?

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 21:27:44 PST 2001

>From: Eric Eisenhart <eric at eisenhart.com>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: How do I deal with multiple hardware setups?
>Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 23:40:32 -0800
>
>On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:05:31PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> >
> > It looks to me like every time a workstation started up, it would
>overwrite
> > the XF86Config-4 file with whichever version was appropriate for itself.
> > Wouldn't that confuse all of the other workstations whenever they
>(re)start
> > X?
>
>Sorry, I was confused, I guess...  I was thinking in terms of cloned
>machines, not in terms of machines all mounting the exact same
>filesystem...

That's O.K.  Try to imagine me trying to explain netbooting to people who
have never done anything with a computer that they couldn't find under the
Windows 'Start' menu (excluding the 'Settings' submenu).

>You want a graphical login on these, like xdm or gdm?
>
>Okay...
>
>Seriously try this:
>put the following in /usr/X11R6/bin/X.gx:
>#!/bin/sh
>if /sbin/lspci | grep "Intel Corporation 82810E"; then
>    /usr/X11R6/bin/X -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.gx110
>else
>    /usr/X11R6/bin/X -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.gx1
>fi
>
>Hmmm...
>
>Or maybe in the startup scripts elsewhere (like inside /etc/X11/prefdm)
>put:
>if /sbin/lspci | grep "Intel Corporation 82810E"; then
>    export XF86CONFIG=XF86Config-4.gx110
>else
>    export XF86CONFIG=XF86Config-4.gx1
>fi
>
>(/etc/X11/prefdm is the script that fires up your choice of display
>managers, and the display managers are what actually will fire up X, based
>on what's in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers)

I actually use a text-only login because I was having problems where X would
crash if left idle for extended periods of time (might not be an issue
anymore, though).  But I put the code from your second suggestion into
/etc/bashrc

Unless you know whether or not this works, I'll try it out on Monday and see
if it works.