Can't recompile the Red Hat 7.2 kernel (2.4.9-13)

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Nov 26 13:38:50 PST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 11:17:04PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I finished downloading Red Hat Linux 7.2, installed it on Friday, and got
> all the errata on Saturday.  Since then, I've been poking around to see
> what's different, and I found that VMWare doesn't work anymore.  I tried
> reconfiguring it, and that failed because the kernel source in
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13 didn't seem to match the running kernel.  So I tried
> to recompile the kernel, and got this error message:
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13/.hdepend:1862: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>

> What the heck is that?!

Did you run "make dep" before this?  That looks an awful lot to me like an
error you could get that means that "make dep" needs to be run.

You probably don't need the source to match the running kernel, you probably
just need to install the "kernel-headers" package that matches your running
kernel.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell