switched away last week

Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 16:40:42 PDT 2001

Well, I took the plunge, and I have to thank Troy for the step up.
My primary workstation at work is now running RH 7.1 with vmware for
some binaries I'm too chicken to try with Wine. Windows2K is no more...

ready for notes? otherwise stop reading here.

If you try this yourself, only use these notes as a BASIS for your
own... I am not responsible... Do not run with scissors...

Planning:
Decide what goes and stays. Of all programs I run, only two sets
require Windows for the job; Wine might handle them later, but vmware
is solid for now. Web browsing, chat, email, OfficeStuff all converts
right over.

Setup:
1.obtained RH 7.1 7-CD version. sweet.
2.verified storage for must-keep files (8GB space on LAN)
3.move must-keeps to storage. even with ftp on LAN, this took 4 hours
for 5.5GB of data, counting broken links I had to stop & fix (delete)
 (ftp was used in lieu of windows share as the VIRUS was still
afoot...)

Installation:
1.I basically too defaults all the way, except I
2.This is a beefy machine, so I took liberties that the home machine
would choke on. There's a partitioning scheme listed on
http://www.robval.com/linux/desktop/index.asp I modified to fit a
larger disk. Basically I doubled all partitions except /boot and saved
the extra space for /vmware/*.dsk files.
3.DHCP, but I took the time to give it a hostname.
4.Firewall = medium, I don't want nasties coming in at work, but I want
some access.
5.I selected server install, all packages. I can uninstall later the
things I don't need

Running:
1.I'm using KDE, it's smoother than Gnome and I' was used to it
already.
2.StarOffice 5.2, read/write MSWord docs & more. Email isn't ready for
prime-time yet, so I use
3.Netscape for email, sufficient.
4.Konqueror for GUI browser and file manager. Handles IE tags very
well, reset default Times font to something readable.
5.Gftp for a GUI ftp client
6.Easy to manage with command line if I get upset at the GUI...

is it nice? you bet! are there problems? sure, but that's why I learned
"research"...

Thanks for the ear.
Mike

=====
___shaving weekly with Occam's Razor___
Visit the Northern California Church of Freethought
at http://www.geocities.com/nccof ...Think for Yourself!