Update: This penguin walks on a bed of blue screens of death!

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 07:07:37 PDT 2001

>From: E Frank Ball <frankb at efball.com>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: Update: This penguin walks on a bed of blue screens of death!
>Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 19:38:04 -0700

[snip]

>I don't consider wandering around a maze of menus easy access, but I
>seem to be in the minority.  I fooled around with wmconfig a little, and
>it was picking up the gnome applications (like gnumeric) and mixing them
>into the various menu catagories.  It didn't find KDE stuff.

A maze of menus is better than an XTerm!
wmconfig did find gnumeric, but it didn't find anything else that I could
recognize as a GNOME application (e.g. AbiWord, which I know is installed).

>The fvwm2rc config file (~/.fvwm2rc or /etc/X11/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc) is
>pretty easy to edit for menus.  Just add a menu section for KDE apps, it
>shouldn't be too hard to find them all.

I don't see anything in the fvwm2 configuration that refers to kde, and I
don't see anything in the KDE configuration that refers to wmconfig.
Actually, I couldn't find any man pages about KDE, so I only read through
the /usr/bin/startkde script.

>A few fvwm control panel buttons for commonly used apps would be a good
>way to go, even with complete menus.  These are easy too.  See my
>screenshots for examples.
>
>Some of the fvwm2rc file is pretty cryptic, like the mouse and button
>bindings, other parts are pretty readable.  RedHat throws in a ton of
>garbage for some very specfic things you will probably never use.
>
>If you want to look at what I have for some ideas I have 3 screen shots
>and config files at http://efball.com/fvwm/

Looks good, although I don't think that I want to put a skull on the
'Logout' button (as on yellowst).

I'll see what I can do. The configuration for 'arc' looks like it would best
suit what I'm trying to do.  I'll probably set it up under my personal
account, modify it until I'm satisfied that it's good for deployment, then
make it the universal configuration.  If you're interested, I can send a
copy of the new configuration once I finish with it.