Help with my desktop

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Thu Oct 18 09:46:16 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 09:24:58AM -0700, Troy Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:51:10PM -0700, Jake wrote:
> >
> > And The Card is an AGP ATI Raedon VE dual head.
>
> I have been less than successful getting optimum performance out of a
> Radeon DDR 32meg I just bought, RH7.1 claims it's an unidentified chipset
> (hell, I can't even get X to start, period).  Reading the changelog for
> XFree 4.1.0 (RH7.1 ships 4.0.3) I see some Radeon work and Matrox G450
> work as well.  So, here's for waiting and hoping RH7.2 will be a better
> friend to me and this video card...

Yeah, I'd agree with Troy.  Wait for 7.2 and see if it has some better
support.  Alternately, if you really aren't all that attached to the video
card, dump it and get something "more supported"....no current
recomendations as I haven't put together a Linux box from parts all that
recently, though I tend to prefer Matrox (since I'm more interested in 2D
performance as I don't game).

You can always install Linux and not run X, or settle for running at some
non-accelerated, low-res mode if you really wanna get up and running today.
In fact, I'd bet you could find some help at the InstallFest this weekend if
you wanted to stop by, or signup to actually get help installing.

I just got my new machine here at work and I'm gonna figure out why X
wouldn't install properly with 7.1.  It's got a 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra,
which I thought was fairly compatible, but apparently not.  Lucky me.

-Dustin