switching away...

Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 14:02:01 PDT 2001

I caught the midna virus yesterday, many of us were badly affected.
I will have to reinstall Win2K to correctly recover, but I'd rather do
it a little differently: move my entire box to Linux and run Windows
apps either with Wine or vmware when required.
We are a Windows shop, but I do have carte blanche over what I use, as
long as I can effectively get my work done.
I know which apps I can move to Linux: Office stuff, email & chat, web
stuff and all the games I can eat.
What Wine and vmware will handle are the proprietary binaries we use at
our company. No other choices yet.
What I'd like to know from the group is what would be the best
distribution for Wine & vmware, also connecting to my domain as a
client?
I'm a Debian fan, many of you are RedHat folks, and I know the relative
benefits of each.
I'm sick and tired of fixing Windows whenever a DLL goes south. Yes,
I've blue-screened Win2k, but it wasn't easy. A co-worker is trying XP,
it's like the Fisher-Price version of Windows.
no more toys! Please!

machine is a Dell gx110, 750p3, 256MB RAM, USB & decent video, good
enough for most apps.

thanks as always
Mike

> Maybe this is a good time to toss in a belated thanks.  I switched
> away
> from my Windows Keyboard and console switching started acting normal
> again.  Ctrl-Esc is no hardship when I have to boot Win98 for
> games...

=====
___shaving weekly with Occam's Razor___
Visit the Northern California Church of Freethought
at http://www.geocities.com/nccof ...Think for Yourself!