switching away...

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Sep 19 17:18:09 PDT 2001

At 02:02 PM 9/19/2001 -0700, Mike Rice wrote:
>I caught the midna virus yesterday, many of us were badly affected.
>I will have to reinstall Win2K to correctly recover, but I'd rather do
>it a little differently: move my entire box to Linux and run Windows
>apps either with Wine or vmware when required.

>What I'd like to know from the group is what would be the best
>distribution for Wine & vmware, also connecting to my domain as a
>client?

Without starting a Holy War, I would vote for RH 7.1 and vmware.  If it is
going to be a desktop machine I would use Gnome 1.4 desktop by www.ximian.com

The 'Red Carpet' package tool/manager works nice for the novice and
includes channels to Red Hat, Gnome, vmware and Ximian Evolution to install
their software.

Debian has frozen the code for the next release (3.*) I believe, but I
don't know when the release date is.

BIAS - I run RH boxen with vmware clients....... although I like KDE
desktop too..!

Switching away can be painful..... but it feels good after you pull the
band aid off.

Mark