NBLUG mirrors

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Sat Sep 29 19:12:47 PDT 2001

We've set up some mirrors on our NBLUG server and I thought it would be a
good idea if we actually told some people about them.  So, try 'em out.
Tell me if there's any problems.

mirror.nblug.org

We've got CPAN, CTAN, RedHat and Kernel.  CPAN and CTAN are complete
mirrors; everything's there; CPAN is the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network
and CTAN is the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network.  RedHat is Updates for
4.2, 5.2, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0 and 7.1; ISOs for 6.2/sparc, 6.2/i386 and
7.1/i386; full distribution for 6.2/alpha, 6.2/i386, 6.2/sparc, 7.1/i386 and
7.1/ia64.  (All RedHat stuff is only the English versions; all other
languages are excluded).  Ftp.kernel.org mirror has various special patches,
all the "people" stuff (so you can get the Alan Cox prerelease kernels from
us, for example), Kernel 2.0 (all), Kernel 2.2 (all), and Kernel 2.4
(Whenever a 2.5 comes out it'll get mirrored too, of course); all the .bz2
files and none of the .gz files, though; you'll need "bunzip2"

Everything is available via HTTP, FTP and rsync.
http://mirror.nblug.org/
ftp://mirror.nblug.org/
rsync://mirror.nblug.org/

I assume everybody is familiar with HTTP and FTP, but a word about rsync: If
you have it installed, just run "rsync rsync://mirror.nblug.org/" to get a
directory listing and add a filename or directory to actually get a copy of
something.  For instance, "rsync rsync://mirror.nblug.org/mirror/CPAN/" will
list the top of CPAN, "rsync rsync://mirror.nblug.org/mirror/CPAN/README ."
would put the CPAN README file in your current directory and "rsync -r
rsync://mirror.nblug.org/mirror/CPAN/ CPAN/" would get you your own copy of
the entire archive in the "CPAN" directory.  Rsync's biggest feature is that
it can get a partial file and then on another attempt it will run checksums
on the first part and only send over the differences; very nice for
downloading files that have only small changes from the previous version.
You'll probably want to use the --recursive option, the --partial option,
the --progress option and maybe the --bwlimit=1 (KBytes/second; your 56K
modem is probably getting about 4Kbytes per second; 5 if you're really
lucky, so a bwlimit of 1Kbyte/sec might actually leave your connection
useful for other stuff)

Anyways, do try it out.  I'm sure we'll announce it officially at some
point.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell