Beneficial talk RedHat vs Debian...

Warren Raquel warquel at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 15:54:34 PST 2002

The only difference between Server and Workstation are the packages it
installs. If you want the exact list just hop on the CD and look at
RedHat/base/comps. Look for the Workstation Group and compare it to the
Server Group. I agree, go custom. I just use a kickstart script to install
my servers with the packages I want. Done in 10 minutes. Love it.

>From: E Frank Ball <frankb at efball.com>
>To: talk at nblug.org
>Subject: Re: Beneficial talk RedHat vs Debian...
>Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 13:42:37 -0800
>
>On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 12:14:06PM -0800, Dave Cooper wrote:
>} I have been hearing folks tell me to "run" not walk away from RedHat....(
>} Dustin should take some responsibility here, for bringing me into RedHat
>at
>} .99beta... :)  )
>}
>} Points to cover?
>} 4) Configuration issues:  Server vs Workstation.....  X..
>
>I've always thought RedHat's "server" vs.  "workstation" distinction was
>kind of odd.  I've never had a box that wasn't some sort of server.  If
>you let RedHat run amuck and do a "server" or "workstation" installation
>it frequently makes a real mess either way.  The only type of Redhat
>installation worth doing is "custom".
>
>--
>
>    E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com

Warren Raquel MCP CCNA