Sonic DSL and LinkSys routers (was Re: DSL and Linux question s...)

Christopher White cwhite at softquad.com
Fri Feb 1 18:09:59 PST 2002

> I'm also looking at switching to sonic.net for DSL and would
> like to use
> the Linksys wireless router*. Is anyone out there using one
> of these or
> have a standard linksys router for there DSL from sonic?
>
> *BEFW11S4 - EtherFast® Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router w/4-Port Switch
>
> Greg
> ***

Greg,

I've tried a Linksys wireless base station, and found that it had serious
problems.  Starting with a recent firmware upgrade, Linksys' WEP
(encryption) is not compatible with any other company's WEP.  I had this
directly from Linksys' tech support, when I upgraded the firmware of their
wireless base station and it stopped being able to talk to my SMC wireless
PC card.  I took the base station back, needless to say.

BTW, I've found that not all wireless base stations are created equal.
Several of them that I've tried could not stream video when doing 128 bit
encryption (which I recommend for security reasons).  My US Robotics works
great, but I've tried SMC, Belkin, and Linksys -- they all failed until I
turned off the encryption.

As far as the routing/switch part of your hardware is concerned, it should
work.  My boss is using a Netgear router/switch/wireless base station with
Sonic DSL with no problems.

--Chris

Christopher T. White
Manager of Systems Administration