Print serving technologies

troy fryman at sonic.net
Thu Feb 14 22:03:14 PST 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 09:15:17AM -0800, Mitch Patenaude wrote:
> Could anybody provide a synopsis of the different printer options under
> Linux?  I've a little lost with all the different choices.  CUPS, LPRng,
> good old lpd and any others..... What are the pluses and minuses?  Is
> there a site out there that reviews them all?

Since no one else has piped up, I'll add what little I know.

AFAIK, LPRng is just souped up lpr; it doesn't get you anything new. CUPS
gets you a nifty web interface and (for me) easier access to
printer-specific stuff like resolution and paper type.  I use CUPS with
gimp-print and get photo quality output on an Epson 875 which is as good as
the windows driver, though noticably slower.  Plain text doesn't seem to be
any slower.  Works well with Samba too.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
http://www.cups.org (duh)