Encap Programs

Warren Raquel warquel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:16:27 PST 2002

Maybe it was a UI thing. http://encap.cso.uiuc.edu/ The concept was to
compile a program into it's own directory, say, sendmail.
I would compile it to /usr/local/encap/sendmail-1.2.2.
that directory would have all of sendmail in it, /etc /bin, /sbin, etc.
The encapping program would then move recursively down that directory
creating symbolic links to the corresponding root directories.

The advantage is if I wanted to move to a new version I would compile
everything into a new directory like /usr/local/encap/sendmail-2.0.2 then I
would de-encap the sendmail-1.2.2 version removing all the symbolic links
then encapping the 2.0.2 version. If something is screwed up I just go back
to the 1.2.2 version without dealing with remivng 2.0.2 files. Basically
it's another package management format. I was wondering what else is out
ther.