DSL and Linux questions...

Steve srj at adnd.com
Thu Jan 31 09:00:45 PST 2002

One thing to watch out for when using PBI is that they may not give a static
IP address, and they use PPPoE, because of  PPPoE you will be forced to
login to their servers when you want to use the DSL, and I believe each time
you log in you will get a new IP address.

I would recomend Sonic.net (www.sonic.net/sales/dsl/pacbell for info) for
DSL.  That don't use PPPoE and they give you a static IP address.  They will
also give you 4 bridged IP addresses for free.

I've run linux on my DSL for about 2 years now, and its simple, you set it
up just like you would set up a normal ethernet tcp/ip network.  You get a
netmask, and IP and a gateway from sonic, plug them into the proper config
files and bam! your done.  Runs sweet.

-Steve