DSL and Linux questions...

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Thu Jan 31 02:55:25 PST 2002

To reiterate what many people have said so far with overwhelming response:

DSL directly from Pacific Bell is very messy with Linux.  You must either
purchase seperate hardware as a router, preferably a Linksys/D-Link/SMC DSL
router, or have a Windoze computer set-up with Wingate or another NAT
software and Pac Bell's PPPoE software.  They do not give you a static IP
(ie: your IP changes every time the router connects).  If you were to want a
static IP, they would charge you CONSIDERABLY more.

DSL through Sonic.net (or another good DSL provider) is much less
complicated on Linux.  You can plug the DSL bridge that you receive directly
into your Linux box.  If you've configured your network card and the TCP/IP
information correctly, you will have NO difficulties in connecting directly
to the Internet.  Plus, with no time wasted waiting for PacBell's network to
authenticate you and figure out what your IP is going to be (I've seen PPPoE
software sit there for almost 1-2 minutes waiting for their damn network to
get it's act together).

My only warning is this: PLEASE configure the firewall on your Linux box!!!
I cannot stress this enough.  Security is very important.  You're probably
using RedHat for your Linux box, by default RedHat has many services
running.  You should disable all services that you are not using and close
all priveleged ports except those which you are using for servers. (FTP is
ports 20 and 21, web is port 80, email is port 25, ssh is port 22)

- Christopher Wagner
chrisw at pacaids.com

Packaging Aids Corporation - Information Systems
P.O. Box 9144
San Rafael, CA 94912-9144
http://www.pacaids.com/
(415) 454-4868 x116