Lilo, help please!

cal herrmann cal at herrmanns.org
Mon Jul 15 20:40:15 PDT 2002

Thanks, Mark and ME.
1. lbu32 was my miscopying, it is lba32.
2. The EZDrive happens before the Mandrake boot screen. So I suppose it is in
part of the MBR, or a vector to it?  Will lilo -u really restore the MBR if
EZDrive has modified it? I hope so! (feeling cautious)
3. I had seen GRUB mentioned, but knew nothing at all about it.  So I have
been reading the referenced manual, thank you. Lilo has mounted GRUB, since
it flashes before the Mandrake screen with the grubby choices.
in /boot/grub/menu.lst I see:
	timeout 5
	color black/cyan yellow/cyan
	i18fn (hd0,0)/grub/messages
	keytable (hd0/0) /us.klt
	altconfig file )hd0,0)/grub/menu.once
	default 0
	title linux
	kernel (hd0,0) vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd1 hdc=ide-scsi dwfs=mount
	title failsafe
	....same as line above but adds failsafe at end
Nothing about a windows option.
the file /boot/grub/messages has welcome to grub, etc; use %c & %c keys for
selecting ... etc
/boot/grub/menu.once is empty (101 character size but no text)
/boot/grub/device-map says (hd0) is /dev/hda; (hd1) is /dev/hdd.

I took another hard-disk, left over from something else,  tried it and it
loaded without EZdrive: I had at one time updated the bios but didn't bother
to change from EZDrive. So that is to be done, surely.

 The video card is a Number Nine, Revolution IV (driver listed now as being
in Mandrake 8.2, can't find it in 8.1): I had gotten an SGI LCD screen, I
think easier on my wife's eyes.

I tried the "other" lines in lilo.config: ran lilo and it replied:
	added linux*
	added failure
	Fatal: First sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a valid boot signature.

Thanks again, Cal