where to RTFM about disk errors

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Fri Jul 19 11:19:16 PDT 2002

> On ext2 filesystems backup superblocks occur every 8192 bytes so you should
> have one at 8193 and 16385 ..... etc.
>
> e2fsck -b 16385 /dev/hd**

Thanks Mark!

It turns out since it's a big drive, the first extra superblock is at
32768, so now e2fsck is happily chugging along and is finding many blocks
shared among 7 files. I guess I'll start answering Y and see what is left
of those files after I'm done.

BTW I found the superblock locations by running mke2fs like this:
mke2fs -n /dev/hda4

Also funny to note that on a small drive the first backup would be at
8193, but the second is at 16384, not 16385 as one would normally infer
from the unlikely number 8193. I'm not curious enough to find out why :)

Cheerful regards,

Bob