RedHat and Debian - NIS and NFS passwd map?

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Jul 24 15:48:06 PDT 2002

I am bringing up a Debian 3.0 box in my mixed network of windoze, BSD, RedHat.

I have NIS running on the internal net with NFS sharing home.  I am trying
to get the Debian box to play nice through NIS but I am having some
problems.  I have read that the glibc and libc may trip up logins through
NIS if you are sharing the passwd file.

I get the following error when logging in from a redhat box into the debian
box.

Could not chdir to home directory /home/jet: Permission denied
bash: /home/jet/.bash_profile: Permission denied
I have no name!@debian:/$

It seems the debian box is not reading the NIS shared passwd file.  It is
not mapping the proper UID and GID to the login attempt.
I have no name!@debian:/$ whoami
whoami: cannot find username for UID 1000

nsswitch.conf has been changed to nis for the files passwd, group, shadow
yp.conf has been updated with the proper domainname and server.
nis has been restarted.

I placed an entry in debian box passwd file to the effect

+:*:::::  still no go.

Then

+jet
+::::::/bin/false

it works but still the same message as above...  The yp commands show me
the proper passwd file etc. on the debian box.

Clue