Sendmail...

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Jun 10 11:31:38 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 11:21:42AM -0700, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> Well, the problem I have with both of your suggestions, although good ones
> they are, is that the IP address is a dynamic one..  I'm working on getting
> a static IP, but don't have one yet.  Maybe I'll have to suffer for now
> until I get a static IP.

I've never set it up, but there's a couple of options.

1) Authenticated SMTP -- I think this can use LDAP or PAM or other
options...

2) "POP before SMTP" -- I don't know how to do this one, but it's common to
have a setup where an IP that has a successful POP authentication then gets
an hour during which it can use the mail server for SMTP.  (with that hour
getting refreshed every time POP is used)  Or maybe 5 minutes instead of an
hour.

Allowing a wandering IP address to use you for relay is probably a bad idea;
though if it's inside of a consistent network block, allowing that block of
IP addresses (especially if it's in a /24 or two) isn't much of a risk.
Just avoid opening up to the entire internet or a whole /8 ("class A") or
something silly like that.
Eric Eisenhart                                  eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
Perl, SQL, Linux and Web            ^           IRC: Freiheit at openprojects
Coder, Sysadmin and geek           /e\                AIM: falsch freiheit
http://eric.eisenhart.com/         ---                       ICQ: 48217244