gphoto2 alternative or fix?

troy fryman at sonic.net
Mon Jun 10 23:16:10 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:25:46PM -0700, root wrote:

> Hello again,
>
>         my earlier question of Photoshop port was brought on by the
> problem I am having with gphoto. I have an Olympus C-3000 digital camera
> and I cannot get it to function. The system recognizes it as a 2000
> series which I am sure is fine but the images stored on the Smart Media
> card are not recognized either while in the camera nor in the FlashPath
> adapter. The camera has a USB interface and when I type the path in
> gphoto camera setup it states to chech the permissions in the manual?
> Needless to say I checked the help tab and I could not find the answer
> to my question. Any help out here would be great.

I have a Oly c-3030z.  It works great with gphoto2 by itself, although i
often use gtkam for a frontend.

Check usbview to make sure that the camera checks out o.k. For comparison,
i've included here the relavent output from my machine.  Then, as suggested,
watch /var/log/message both as you plug the camera in to the usb port, and
as you try to manipulte it with gphoto2.

Maybe you're getting confused by specifying a path?  Try a simple:
$ gphoto2 --get-all-files

If that doesn't work, and usbview checks out, then you probably don't have
read permission for the device.

hth
-troy

**contents of .gphoto/settings: