RedHat Patent Apps

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 13 22:03:46 PDT 2002

on Wed, Jun 12, 2002, pyxelp at sonic.net (pyxelp at sonic.net) wrote:
> Hello,
>       I mentioned RedHat last night in the meeting possibly moving from the
> GPL licensing and toward private patents.

Patents and GPL are orthogonal.

So long as the patents are licensed:

  - Without bias to user.
  - Without requiring terms in addition to those imposed by the GPL.

...they are compatible.

The FSF and LPF (both RMS organs) have long encouraged creating a
free-software based patent pool as a way to fight fire with fire.  This
has been discussed many times in many places.

There's some current discussion at the Free Software Law Discussion
list, which I moderate.  Information and archives: