OK, time to learn how to build a server.

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Tue Mar 5 14:24:24 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:20:31PM -0800, E Frank Ball wrote:
> I may be overly pessimistic about installing qmail, especially if RPM
> packages are available now - they weren't 3 years ago.  At the time I
> downloaded the source for qmail, postfix, and exim and browsed the docs
> on each one and postfix looked much easier.  Friends told me qmail was a
> pain.  I once started installing "public file" by the same DJB guy that
> wrote qmail and it *was* a bitch, I quit and found something else.

That explains where you got your opinion from, as I have to agree with
you on public file.  It is alot easier when you already have ucspi-tcp
(similar to inetd) and daemontools (replacement for init scripts)
installed on a machine.  If all you want to do is get a webserver up, it
is a bit much to have to figure out both those packages.  But in my
opinion, it is worth setting them up to have a server that just about
never goes down.

> In the same time span sendmail has had a couple of remote root exploits
> if I remember right.  When Agilent Technologies switched their two email
> gateways from sendmail to postfix they said the load on the machines
> dropped from 25 to 2.

Somehow I'm not surprised.  Do you happen to know what kind of volume
they were seeing at the time?

Brad Cox		brad at linuxbofh.com
Key fingerprint = E741 589E 4A43 DA89 C5AA  B9A3 7E44 18BB C16B F62D
BOFH excuse #180:

ether leak