(Re-)learning NFS

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 17:48:12 PST 2002

>From: Mark Street <jet at sonic.net>
>To: <talk at nblug.org>
>Subject: Re: (Re-)learning NFS
>Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 09:31:01 -0800
>
>Can we get a peek at /etc/exports on the server side?  Are there any
>symlinks on the server side that is being shared?  symlinks are not
>supported.

The contents of /etc/exports is:
/netboot 192.168.0.25(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)
192.168.0.2(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)
/home 192.168.*.*(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)

Neither of those paths are symlinks.

>Run showmount -e on the server and tell us what it says.  If it gives you
>an error give shutdown give mountd a HUP and see if you can mount from the
>client manually.

Export list for palantir.sonoma.edu:
/home    192.168.*.*
/netboot 192.168.0.2,192.168.0.25

I see no errors.

>Check your log files for clues as to why this is happening on both the
>server and the client.

I don't think it's a problem on the server.  I don't need to mount NFS
volumes on the server; I only need to export NFS volumes from it.  It looks
like the problem is on my client system.