seeking motherboard suggestions

Troy Engel tengel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 20 21:00:15 PST 2002

Lorie Obal <lobal at cds1.net> wrote:

> Has anybody worked with a new board recently that they would recommend?
> Do you think going up to RH 7.2 would solve most of the problems?

Going 7.2 is the best route, don't even bother with 7.1.

Anti-motherboard: do not buy a board that has the Intel 440GX chipset, with the onboard Adaptec AIC-7xxx based SCSI controllers.  I just built two servers with those boards, and it turns out there's a serious APIC problem (basically, Intel put a custom APIC chip on the motherboards and won't release the specs for open source stuff, NDA required yada yada...) that you have to hack your way around to get even working.

-te

--
Troy Engel :: KeyID DF3D5207
I killed a process today, just to watch it die.