What the heck is a bus error?

Jeffrey Miller jmiller at batnet.com
Fri Mar 22 18:18:27 PST 2002

It means that you're trying to dereference a pointer that's not a multiple
of the CPU word size.

It typically occurs for the same reason as a "segmentation fault" -- a
corrupted pointer
to a variable, or a link error -- an incompatible library or object file
version.

Same kernel version and library versions for Isildur and the netbooting
stations?

Matching kernel version and library versions between the netbooting stations
and the server they're mounting drives off of?

Jeff Miller