lpd problems

Adam Robertson adamr at sonic.net
Sat May 4 15:44:50 PDT 2002

This is probably a newbie question:
Just a few weeks ago I was printing just fine, but for some reason I
can't print now. I am running RedHat kernal version 2.4.7-10 and using
an HP DeskJet855C configured using the RedHat printconf tool, which
seems to work fine until I print a test page.

 >lpq
Printer 'Adam855 at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection timed out
Make sure LPD server is running on the server

 I checked to ensure lpd is running,
 >ps -ax | grep lpd
 1124 ?        S      0:00 lpd Waiting
 1489 pts/0    S      0:00 grep lpd

I tried to send a simple ASCII file to the printer,
 >cat ascii_file > /dev/lp0
The printer green lights blinked normally like it was going to do
something then the orange error light began to flash. I know some kind
of communication is happening between the PC and the printer, but it
isn't completely right.

I tried starting and stopping lpd, but that didn't change a thing. The
/etc/printconf file looks like it was created just fine from printconf.

Any suggestions or pearls of wisdom?

Thanks,
Adam