Inquiring Minds

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Nov 4 21:27:16 PST 2002

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:23:45PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
} On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:13:32PM -0800, Sue Bennett wrote:
} >
} > I am puzzled.  I have my machine set up as a dual bootable
} > machine with Windows and Linux.  Why did I have to boot up under
} > Windows in order for Linux to realize that daylight savings time
} > had ended?  The only thing I can think of is that since the
}
} I noticed that my machine at work wasn't set right (it was an hour ahead).
} I chalked it up to the fact that it wasn't turned on when the time changed,
} cuz some random cow-orker shut the machine down some time last week while
} I was out.  (And ungracefully, at that!)
}
} A quick run of "ntpdate" got things straight.

You should run ntpdate or rdate everytime you boot (assuming you are
connected to a network).  Put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local if your running
Redhat.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com