Need help installing linux on an HP laptop

John Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 7 07:31:05 PST 2002

Dear ME,
Thank you for your reply.  I am not advanced enough to understand all of
your discussion.

However, I have found and tried a boot parameter that can be passed to
the kernel (now using Red Hat 7.3) at start-up time  from the hard disk

boot: linux nomce

I understand that possibly the kernel panic shown below is not a "fatal"
one and can be
avoided by adding the above command to the kernel to ignore minor
Machine Checks.

I am concerned that I am too heavily disabling the kernel.  First,
during installation,

boot: linux nopcmcia

and second, as shown above.

With these tactics, I can complete the boot proces, get to a user prompt
and/or a root prompt, where I can login at either level. After that, I
am successful with "startx" and the current of GNOME   begins successfully.

Now, I am facing the same challenge that I did with my first attempt
using an NIC and trying to activate the "eth0" LAN interface.

I am seeing the familiar "network unreachable" on the command-line

Thanks again for your response and discussion below.

John